This recipe combines authentic blinis with blackberries and crème de cassis to make a delicious, impressive, seasonal pudding. The blini quantities generate a little more batter than you will need for this recipe so you can use the leftover batter to make more blinis for breakfast the next day with honey or jam.
- For the blinis
- 300ml milk
- 30g sugar
- 1 x sachet (7g) fast action yeast
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 100g plain white flour
- 1 egg, separated
- a knob of butter
- mild oil for frying
- double cream for serving (whipped to soft peaks)
- For the blackberry & cassis sauce
- 500g blackberries
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 5 tbsp Crème de Cassis
- - To make the blackberry & cassis sauce, put the blackberries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook for a couple of minutes until the blackberries have started to soften.
- - Remove the blackberries with a slotted spoon and set them aside.
- - Add the Crème de Cassis to the blackberry syrup and simmer until reduced by half. Return the blackberries to the syrup. (The sauce can be made a day in advance).
- - Put the milk and sugar into a saucepan and heat very briefly until luke warm (the sugar does not need to dissolve). Remove from the heat and stir in the yeast.
- - Put the flours into a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre then add the milk mixture and the egg yolk and whisk until smooth.
- - Cover with cling film and leave for an hour or so until the mixture has doubled in volume.
- - Put the egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk to soft peaks then carefully fold the egg whites into the batter mixture with a metal spoon, taking care not to overwork it so it doesn’t lose its fluffiness – leave to rest for a further 15 minutes just to be sure.
- - Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add a few dessert spoonfuls of blini mixture to the pan (you should be able to do about 4-5 blinis at the same time in a large frying pan) and cook until bubbles appear on top and the underside is golden, then turn them over and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- - Reheat the blackberry sauce until it is luke warm
- - Place a blini on each plate, top with a small spoonful of sauce, followed by another blini and more sauce. Place one more blini on the top of the pile, followed by a teaspoonful of whipped cream. Drizzle with a bit more syrup from the pan and serve immediately.