For events I sometimes need recipes for small and indulgent sweet treats that can be served with coffee. So here is my recipe for chocolate fudge biscuit cake. It is definitely worthwhile using good quality chocolate with a high cocoa content. I use Green & Black’s 70% cocoa Dark Cooking Chocolate. In this recipe, the addition of caramel to the chocolate biscuit base ties in really well with the flavour of the fudge. To keep things simple I used Carnation caramel, which only has two ingredients in it – whole milk and sugar. I made this recipe in a 20cm x 20cm tin.
Makes 25 small squares
40g golden syrup
300g plain cooking chocolate (70% cocoa)
300g chocolate digestives, finely crushed
150g Carnation caramel
120g vanilla fudge
- Grease and line a brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
- Break the chocolate up into individual chunks.
- Put the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and melt over a low heat until just starting to bubble. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chunks. Stir until melted. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the crushed biscuits and the caramel.
- Chop the fudge into small chunks. Stir half of the fudge into the chocolate biscuit mixture.
- Turn the mixture into the lined tin and level the top. Dot the top with the remaining fudge chunks, pushing them down slightly into the mixture.
- Refrigerate to set then cut into squares to serve. Store in the fridge.